Friday, November 16, 2012

First Attempt

November 15, 2012

This day marks my first attempt at stepping into the mats.  I had huge butterflies in my stomach the whole day.  The Thursday no-gi class at Project Lifestyle Manila gym, home of Deftac Pilipinas at Ortigas, starts at 8PM.  At 4:30PM, I had my early dinner.  Butterflies.  At 5:30PM, I left the office and headed to the gym.  Butterflies.  At 7:00PM, I arrived at Ortigas.  Butterflies.  I walked into the gym.  Butterflies.  I registered at the front desk and signed the waiver.  Butterflies.  I went to the restroom to change into my workout clothes.  Butterflies.  I thought that after the preliminaries, the butterflies would have flown away.  But within minutes before the class, I still have them, huge than ever. :D  I can't quite point out where the nerves are coming from.  Maybe it's from expecting and yet not knowing what to expect; not knowing what happens next; not knowing how to act on what could or might happen.

I've been wanting to try and train jiu-jitsu for quite some time now.  The curiosity, the interest, was inspired by a man very passionate in what he does:  jiu-jitsu.  I have not tried, for the longest time since the interest was sparked, because 1) I'm occupied with other stuff - climbing is my passion, and there's surfing, running, Muay Thai classes, and the time spent at planning out how I would fit all the things I wanted to do in my seven-day-only-week schedule; 2) I wanted to try fitness dance classes first; 3) I don't know where and how to start; and 4) I always find excuse not to -  the idea/thought of doing jiu-jitsu scares me and I don't know why.  All these, until, a very special someone bought me a very nice gi for a birthday gift.  During that time, my calendar is full with all activities related to getting into the country's most prestigious, no-nonsense mountaineering organization, the UP Mountaineers.  But I made a silent promise to myself.  By the time I get inducted into UP Mountaineers, I will do jiu-jitsu.

It seemed all of heaven is working out to make sure I do jiu-jitsu, as promised.  A few days before the induction climb, the last step in the UPM application process, Project Lifestyle Manila launched a promo:  one-month unlimited BJJ class for only PhP999.00.  I got yet another gift.  The pre-requisites are complete.  All I have to do is to find time.

Last night was it.  And though I felt such a newbie, it's a beginning of a beautiful adventure.  Learn, that's the main objective.  I really wanted to learn.  I promise to be a good student.  I just want to learn.  That's all I could allow myself to think of right now.  Everything is in the future. :)  What lies ahead, what to expect, I didn't know.  It scares me, but I'm sticking around to find out.  This is my first attempt.  But it's not my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment