Friday, March 7, 2014

I Am Not that Friend

I won't make it to your birthday party.

I'm probably somewhere North, summiting some peak, where cellphone reception is impossible that even a birthday greeting from me couldn't get through.

But know that I know you'll have a blast with your other friends.


I will miss your wedding.

I'm probably down South, catching and riding some waves. I would contemplate congratulating you but would scrap the idea for I wouldn't want to bother you in the busiest day of your life.

But know that I'm happy for you because you've found the love of your life.


I may be absent at your thanksgiving, for a big promotion you got at work.

I'm probably planting some trees in the East, trying though futile, to salvage the environment, and my hands are so muddy I couldn't even touch my phone to contact you.

But know that I'm the proudest person out there for having the most gifted friend in you.


I'm nowhere to be found at your first born's dedication.

I might be doing some relief operations in the West, trying my best, though of littlest impact, to help rebuild a society.

But take comfort in knowing I'll be the best godparent to your child.


I couldn't offer my shoulder for you to cry on at your mother's funeral.

I'm probably out of the country basking in the beauty of the world's most magnificent places.

But know that I mourn your loss.


I am your friend; It's just that I am not that friend.

But this I promise from the bottomest pit of my heart, from my quietest corner: when the partying ends, when the celebration is through, when all the merry noises quiet down, I'll be there.

Take comfort in knowing that, when the world turns its back on you, I got your back.  I am that friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment