Thursday, August 25, 2016

Bloody hell!


If you are someone who still finds the topic of menstrual cycle and menstruation in general offensive or taboo, then stop reading now.

You have been warned.

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that it is okay for some girls to leave bloody tracks of their menstruation when using public toilets. It is on the toilet seat; it is on the floor. Using public toilets, like those in gas stations where you have nothing, not even murky water to flush the toilet, may be understandable. But office comfort rooms have paper towels, tissue and the handheld bidet. If you do not want to wipe that sit, you can shoot that sit. More than an issue of hygiene, it is an issue of courtesy.

Anyway, speaking of bloody tracks, have you tried the menstrual cup? It is fairly new in the country. The up and coming Philippine brand Sinaya Cup has been the talk amongst active women - mountaineers, surfers, swimmers, triathletes - these days.

Menstrual flow during physical activities, especially during jiu-jitsu training and muay thai sessions, has also been my concern since the day I realized it is not comfortable to grapple or high kick when blood is bursting out of you from your most sensitive part. Though I do not mind using pads during treks, it is not pretty to go beach camping and surfing, or doing any water activity for that matter, when you are bleeding. There was a time when I believe that missing out is the only choice I have when I have my period. I was apprehensive to try the tampons at first. I still worry about it today. But so far, it has allowed me to do the things I love even on 'those days'.

But the cup. I have been curious since the first time I heard about it from fellow female members of the UP Mountaineers. It's environment-friendly, because it is reusable. It means less trash! So you can understand why I am willing to try (and switch to) it - though the most environment-friendly you can probably get when you are on your period is to just 'Let if flow, let if flow!' in the tune of Frozen's soundtrack. It is hypoallergenic. It does not cause Toxic Shock Syndrom (TSS) like the tampon.




So I know the WHYs. I still have questions about the HOWs. HOW do you put it in? HOW do you take it out? HOW do you wash it? To anyone who has tried/used it, tips and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment