Friday, February 8, 2013

The Day After

Last night was a tough night at training.  We've been doing competition training at the gym for our teammates who would be competing at the International Open on February 23-24, 2013.  But Thursdays are always painful.  Thursday is when the teachers get sadistic haha!

Anyway, besides the hundred-count-drills, that day also marks the first time I've sparred with our purple belt instructor.  I am completely sure that I looked like a little girl picking a fight with her daddy who is not even taking her seriously; if it were a verbal throw down, I'm sure he was laughing off my death and bomb threats.  It was that funny.  :D  I would almost pass his guard then he would roll over or toss me up and end up in a guard position again; I would escape a back mount only to end up in his full mount, or was it the other way around?  The whole seven-minute round of sparring looked pretty much like that.  I was very, very lucky he didn't get to tap me out, but then again, was he even trying to tap me out?

During a spar with my blue belt boyfriend, a funny and curious thing even happened.  I got trapped (at least I felt that way) in a side mount.  He was so good at pinning me down.  I could feel his weight heavy on my stomach and my air was getting thinner and thinner every passing second.  I got desperate.  I tried to bridge out, but it seems like nothing's happening.  I tried to push him up and out, but he was just there, solid heavy.  Then I felt it.  A sensation in my teeth that's urging me to bite haha!  "Oh, you wouldn't let me out?  I would bite you."  It was desperation.  It's like my mind is telling me I'm dead and that's the only way to survive.  I had to blink hard and shake my head to regain consciousness and control over my now involuntary body parts. :D  He wasn't able to submit me.  But he made me question my sanity. :D

When I got home after training, every little bit hurts I was tempted to just go to bed and have that dreamless sleep without fixing my dirty clothes or brushing my teeth.  I was that tired.  After mustering whatever strength I have left, I went to hang my used and - take note - sweat-soaked gi.  That's when I knew, it's been a great night, a great training.

I don't know how it started exactly but, the morning after, while I was walking to work, I caught myself smiling as I was remembering the little details of the night before.  I was like this high school girl remembering a little comment a guy I had a little crush on made about my handwriting. :)  I don't want to sound too cheesy about it but jiu-jitsu gave me my best and brightest day during a very difficult and trying week.

I am grateful I've found it... I am grateful it found me...

No comments:

Post a Comment